Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Try a block!

I blogged about this last week on Accuquilt's blog

It's a fun challenge with a FB friend texts me a picture of a block and asks if it can be done with Accuquilt QUBE dies!

I think it was called Dinah's block
It was a block from a magazine in the 80s!
 Look how neat it looks together with other blocks!


So I thought about it for a while, then once I tilted my head and looked at the inner part with the yellow corners
 Then it was easy to see that as a QUBE block!
Then I looked at the outside part with the triangle in a square and I have a tiny die that cuts out 2" triangle in a square pieces, so if that's 2" finished and another 2" square, then the middle part has to be 6"!
So the middle part is the 6" qube with dies #3 for the yellow part, #4 for the dark blue part and #5 for the teal and white middle!
then the square and small corner triangles are from the 8" qube set, dies #2 and #5!

and finally the corners of the block would be 6" QST finished if you see how it lines up below, so that's die #4 from the 12" QUBE set!

So I set to work to test it!

I used some feline fine batik leftovers from last year from Island Batik and I was able to cut out pieces for 4 blocks!
(my original thought was that the blocks would be larger than 12" more like 15" but then ended up 11 3/4") anyways, my idea was a baby quilt.


At first I sewed the HSTs together for the pinwheel center part, it's a pale solid grey and pink cat print.

Then sewed the 4 pinwheel block sections together like this

Meanwhile I also made the triangle in a square blocks- 32 of them

I then added  dark print QSTs to the pinwheels

and also added the center grey square to the triangle in a square blocks
(yeah I changed the colors around, it was just for whatever scrap I had to make it work)

and then the #3 corner triangles in dark grey

and on half the triangle in a square block sections I added the corner triangles

Then sewed the blocks together like this
 and added the large grey QSTs
what a fun block!

and here's 4 of them together, love the star it creates as a secondary pattern!

and here I added borders and finished it with some custom quilting and solid grey binding
I really want to make a bigger quilt with this now!
Thanks Robin J for the inspiration- can't wait to see yours!!

3 comments:

Chris said...

How ingenious!

Vicki in MN said...

There you go putting your thinking cap on again Bea! Your finished quilt makes that block look really different!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That's awesome. It's a great block.