Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Top strip phonebook quilt top is done

The top for the phonebook quilt is finally done!
I finished all 48 blocks of it and added grey triangles to the sides.
Then I stuck it on the design wall and if there were any directional fabrics I had them pointing the right way!
I then sewed together large X blocks like this…
it was at this point that I realized my math might not have been perfect, the blocks seem to puff up in the middle, not just because of the bulk but because I sometimes had to stretch the grey triangles a bit to make them fit the length…. now it’s created problems!
but I kept trekking on!
I used my 1 1/2” strip die and cut out the grey inner border and I also found this blue/green batik I had leftover from last year I think and I used my 3 1/2” strip die to cut out those border strips!
Now it’s still a bit bulky, but I wonder if I can quilt it out?
we’ll see….
(I made a grey binding too btw)
phonebook quilt
The top is 48 x 62”


Vicki in MN said...

I bet you can quilt it out, do a nice allover so you can work it with one hand. What size was your phone book strip?

Joyce Carter said...

It looks really pretty Bea. I love all the blues.

Sewgirl said...

Bea, that turned out great! Bonnie Hunter would be impressed. Now you have a lot of room in the gray centers for some fun quilting! Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Walker said...

I love string quilts! I made one I called Goddess Eyes last year for the RSC. It, like yours, was a little bit planned too! This one is wonderful; hope it all 'quilts out'!

Pamela Arbour said...

Your blocks turned out really nice. Looking forward to see how you quilt it.

Brenda / Songbird Designs said...

I love the way it turned out, Bea! I received a small local county phone book in the mail yesterday and thought of you! I bet you should be able to quilt out that extra "fluff!!"

Nancy said...

What a wonderful quilt. I have SCRAPS and this looks fun.