Friday, June 15, 2018

Mid Month Potholders

midmonth potholders

This week’s potholders use the QUBE set and the 1 1/2” new square die from Accuquilt

Now my initial plan was to use the 6” QUBE set with the squares in the middle

oneinpotholder6

But if you use the 8” QUBE set the center will be a bit different

oneinpotholder

The 9” qube set would work too but then don’t use the 1 1/2” squares at all, just make an uneven nine patch.

With the 12” qube, use just the 3 1/2” squares and make a nine patch with possibly the 1 1/2” squares (nine patch) in the middle too.

I couldn’t make up my mind on which set I should make so I decided on BOTH!

At first I started with some FQs, a black, pink and white print

IMG_20180605_132244237

For the 6” and 8” QUBE versions I used shapes #2 and #8 and the 1 1/2” squares die.

IMG_20180605_132627202

For the 8” version, I used die #2 and cut out (8) of white AND black and (4) in pink. To make 4 blocks- 2 potholders with front and back the same Smile

IMG_20180605_133248604_HDR

Then with die #8 I cut out (16) in pink and actually 2 more for hanging tags- which I folded in half and then folded to the middle and folded in half (like binding sort of)

IMG_20180605_133824095

Then with the 1 1/2” squares I cut out 24 of each black and white fabrics

IMG_20180605_134104972

For the 6” version I had to get another fabric and added a green

IMG_20180605_134707404_HDR

Then because this one just has a 9patch in the middle I used the 1 1/2” squares again and cut out 16 of white and black and 4 in pink

IMG_20180605_135035299

And for the corner squares I used die #2 from the 6” qube set of course and cut out 16 in black and I cut out 2 larger rectangles for hanging tags too

IMG_20180605_135354540

Now to the sewing, for the 6” version I just sewed a small nine patch from the 1 1/2” squares like this

IMG_20180605_141251673

IMG_20180605_142248739

Then sewed them together like this (4 sets)

IMG_20180605_162238561_HDR

then I added the rectangles and corner squares

IMG_20180608_085343185_HDR

and here’s the completed blocks

IMG_20180608_093927339_HDR

with the 8” version I sewed first white and black 1 1/2” squares together like this (16 sets)

IMG_20180605_141304342

Then sewed them together to the center pink square, having them be opposite, and the sides are from 4 small squares

IMG_20180605_143121735_HDR

Then sewed the middle together like this

IMG_20180608_084221947_HDR

Then because the middle had off colored mini squares I did the same with the corner squares on the outside

IMG_20180608_090724151_HDR

and here’s the blocks all done

IMG_20180608_094345913_HDR

Then I cut out batting and insulbright to fit the potholders (2 of each)

IMG_20180608_131921456_HDR

and with black Quilt + thread from Coats, I top stitched the blocks to the batting

IMG_20180608_132124360

Then I trimmed the batting

IMG_20180608_134207193

I added the hanging ties and sewed them together right sides together with and opening at the bottom, then turned right side out and top stitched near the edge all the way around

IMG_20180608_140826432_HDR

Now the 6” version potholders are really SMALL, they are cute, but probably too small, so for now I gave them to the girls to use in their play kitchen Smile

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Girls need pretty things in their play kitchens, too. I'll bet they love them.