Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Accuquilt Go Challenge – Tumbler Die

accuquilt challenge 2015
This month, I’m showing a few finishes AND I’m a guest blogger on Accuquilt’s blog today too.
Last month you saw a preview of this project that I didn’t finish in time using the large tumbler die
GO! Tumbler- 3 1/2" (3" Finished) 55020
You may have seen my EQ sketches of tumbler quilts lately too, so it’s no surprise when you see this!
A Christmas scrappy tumbler quilt top.
DSCF5077
here’s how I did it.
First I got my scrap bin with RED fabrics out, I sewed strips together randomly and tried to cut some at an angle too to add more interest.
2015-07-21 006
2015-07-23 001
I also added strips to the sides if the strips weren’t long enough.
They just had to cover the tumbler shape on the die.
2015-07-23 002
It was a great “in-between” project.
When I had enough (60) I had two of my helpers put them thru the GO! big
2015-07-25 001
2015-07-25 002
2015-07-25 003
I then also used some yardage of a Christmas white print and cut out as many tumblers.
10 of the whites I cut in half. Then I sewed them together with the reds.
DSCF5072
DSCF5073
I had originally planned on leaving it like this and just adding a red binding when it was quilted.
DSCF5074 
But since I had plenty of white fabric leftover I decided to add a small red border and then a larger white outer border. I’m glad I did! The top measures 62” x 69”.
I used the 2 1/2” strip die that I just got to cut out the binding strips in red.
DSCF5077
I did have a few tumbler blocks left over so I sewed them into this- not sure what I’ll make with it, if I should add a border to it or trim it into a rectangle first.
As you can see, the reds are just all Christmasy, there’s also florals and hearts and other reds, but that’s what makes the blocks fun I think!
DSCF5075
I also have another FINISH to show!
I finally finished the bowtie quilt I showed here before.
(yikes that was in April!)
DSCF5082
I quilted curves from corner to corner on each bowtie and it was easy on the long arm, as I never overlapped the lines but still didn’t cut the threads.
DSCF5083
I machine stitched down the binding this time too with a zig zag, just to experiment with something new and also I didn’t feel like hand stitching it down on such a large quilt.
DSCF5084
I used some green Ozark fabric for the backing
DSCF5085
Now jump over to the accuquilt blog and see the tutorial on this cute acorn pincushion I made using the fall die and the HST die.
DSCF5069
Hope these inspired you to dig into your scraps and get our your GO cutter and make a quilt or a pincushion!

No comments: