I’ve had SEW much fun with my new GO! BIG!!
So I was on a “mission” to empty out my BLUE scrap bin.
(and DID succeed! –for a week at least, now there’s scraps in there again)
I used the 6” QST die
Since I had cut out the 1100 HST triangles, whatever was left in my scrap bin were too skinny for the HST die, so then I sewed a bunch of strips together and made long strips like this to fit the die
and laid them on the die and cut them out, it was fun to see how it would turn out.
at most I laid out two layers of sewn strips since the seam allowance counts as 2 extra layers, so some spots it WAS 6 layers, the machine worked like a charm!
Now since this was scraps I didn’t care that some strips were too long, I just cut away and yeah, it did fill up my garbage bin with more scraps, but I did use a lot of scraps, so it was okay.
After I cut them out, I found that I had 16 sets of 4, so a perfect 4 x 4 layout!
I sewed the blocks together ironed the seams open
16 FUN blocks!
Here’s the quilt top done, I just added 2” white strips for sashing and 3” for the border. so finished it was 33”
and the quilt all done!
I did a swirly design where I followed the lines of the swirl a few times before adding another swirl
on the back I used yardage- this fun penguin fabric that I was tired of looking at!
(and of course some left over scraps went in my BLUE scrap bin!)
It was a fun quilt to make and it felt good to use up all these blue scraps.
I’m not “loving” it, but I often feel like that about scrappy quilts, but it’s okay and I might give it to my guild to give to a child in the hospital (they are connected to UNC so might be fitting since I had a lot of UNC scraps in there)
(I actually did another blue scrappy quilt too but keeping it a secret for now)